WasteCap DIY: Reclaimed Wood Customized Coat Rack
This customized rack can be used to hang all your winter gear, keys and/or backpacks. With the holiday season upon us, it also makes a great gift made from recycled materials.
You'll need the following materials and tools to complete the project:
- 3ft of 1x6 Reclaimed Board
- 3 Hooks with Screws
- 4 Photos
- Artists’ Acrylic Glue/Mod Podge
- ⅛“ Drill Bit
- Sand Paper
- Tape Measure
- Paint Brush
- First sand all surfaces and edges of the board. Use rougher grit sandpaper first, then a finer grit after. You should be able to run your hand over the wood without feeling any major bumps or sharp edges.
- Next mark where you want your photos to go.
- Now apply one coat of Acrylic Glue to the face of the board. Place the photos and apply pressure over each photo with your finger to get rid of any air bubbles. Let dry overnight.
- Once dry, apply one more coat. This time cover the photos and edges so the finish is everywhere that will be visible once hung. Let dry overnight.
- Finally, drill and screw the hooks into place. Your customized coat rack is complete!
Click here for printable directions so you can create your reclaimed wood tray just in time for the holiday season.
Rachael will continue to join us throughout the year for more DIY projects. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to stay up-to-date with the latest DIYs.
Wednesday - Friday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
2123 W. Michigan Street, Suite 100
Milwaukee, WI. 53233
back to blog
Welcome to the WasteCap Blog
Every week we'll share updates on our latest projects, tips & tricks on recycling, a spotlight on our favorite materials for sale, and more.